Friday, September 24, 2010

more wows about our book

Several aspects of the chapters we read really stood out to me. First being the benefits to a mini-lesson. I feel the attention span of younger children only allows for about 7-10 minutes of focusing on one topic, which is the time frame Hale sets for this type of lesson. She included a useful table about the four categories of mini-lessons that one can incorporate into their own classroom. I was thinking about concentrating on one aspect each school day and have a free write integrating all of the categories on Friday to review. What do you think about this idea? I’m quite pleased with the idea that 10 minutes on one small concept and reviewing it a few days after will allow what was taught to be absorbed and retained.
Hale also makes a point of saying that if you use literature that is well known, the students can concentrate on the concept you’re teaching rather than the comprehension of the story (100). She even said just pinpointing a few sentences that cover your topic being taught or just a simple paragraph is sufficient for some lessons. From my experience with writing, I don’t recall being so familiar with a text that I was able to dissect different sections of it and relate it to a new concept. We frequently switched texts so our focus was mostly comprehension rather than crafts, mechanics, etc. The “try its” are amazing ways to make sure students are learning. Discussion always leaves room for alterations and understanding, while writing a little bit gets the mind flowing with ideas and uses for mechanics. Allowing students to share their work on the overhead or with small groups gives the student a sense of power and pride (101). I know I feel a since of pride when I share just about anything that’s exciting to me; being praised with words of affirmation makes me want to open up even more with others. It may be the same for students according to Hale.
As for conferences with children, I’m all about it. Each child has different needs and one on one conversation can tell me where a child is and where they need to be. I would like to have conferences with parents frequently too, even if it’s just a short period of conversation over the phone. I will of course begin telling either the student or parent of the strengths the child exudes. After the praises will come how to get more praises by practicing new tactics. Fear sticks in me when I think of how to transition from strengths to weaknesses without hurting someone’s feelings or making them feel stupid. I don’t know how many times I felt stupid when a teacher was talking to me one on one and was telling me the things I did wrong. Any advice on how to discuss what needs work in a positive way?

1 comment:

  1. I like your point about having frequent parent-teacher conferences. It amazed me that in every single one of our classroom observations, the one thing the teachers recommended to us would be to form a close relationship with your students' parents. I really took this to heart because each teacher has such a different teaching style, but they all focused on that one thing that they claimed was so special in their classroom and to their students and the parents.

    ReplyDelete