Saturday, October 16, 2010

MGRP Relates to a Donut Shop? You Bet!

I read chapters 1-3, and 6 out of The Multigenre Research Paper text book. It gave me many ideas about the genres I might use for my paper and reiterated the importance of using this type of paper for all ages. Some of the genres used I would have never even thought of such an an obituary. A resume for MLK seemed really neat too. There are so many possibilities, it will be hard to narrow it down for my own topic.

I never thought about how a multi-genre research paper would be part of my own MGRP though, until I read the Powell Davidson article. The kindergarten classroom's story that the authors share is quite remarkable. My topic for the MGRP is how gender affects motivation and understanding of reading and writing and how teachers can incorporate gender into their lesson plans. It just so happens that much of my research suggests using real life literacy in the classroom as opposed to books or at least supplementing the text books. I write about how boys and sometimes girls have trouble concentrating and get bored easily with the same old reading and writing. Taking a field trip, like the kindergarten kids did to the donut shop is probably the best way to show how a school project relates to real life, but some schools can't go on field trips. In that case, my MGRP comes in, with theatre and drama and games. If you can't really play a video game, then make up your own, and if you can't go to a donut shop create your own in the classroom. Those of just snipits of my thoughts, but I guess you'll all have to read my MGRP for more info! Say tuned :)

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, I'm so excited to hear your presentation! Your ideas are AWESOME! I also like the way in which you linked our two sets of reading so clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Nicole. It is easy to get dismayed and say "Well, I can't do that because we don't have __________!" Fill in the blank with anything that you may be lacking to create meaningful experiences: money, time, inflexible Principle, curriculum ect. But you make an excellent point. If you don't got it improvise, make it and get creative!

    ReplyDelete