Sunday, November 7, 2010

MGRP Reflection

I learned that writing a paper can be fun when you know you have other options. Having a choice in anything is the best. No one really likes being controlled, or told what to do. I love the freedom that the MGRP gives students. It is especially important to allow children to do what they need to read and write even if they aren't doing the traditional reading from a literature text book. Young students have energy, energy I wish I had. A MGRP allows for this energy to be used in a beneficial manner.

I have to tell you all that I found this task difficult and stressful because there are so many genres to choose from. It's choosing that's hard, but also a blessing, because once I had a plan the rest was smooth sailing. I think in the future there will be some things I will do differently, such as making a list of genres to choose from instead of having too much freedom in a small amount of time. I also think I would like to study the genres more before I use them. I loved that we practiced with poetry and newspaper article writing. That helped me figure out my strengths. However, I didn't learn how to make a comic or explore script writing further before I made my own.

As for future teaching, I will absolutely use the MGRP in my classroom whether it's kindergarten or 6th grade. Can you imagine a kindergarten MGRP. The pieces may include finger painting, clay molding, dressing up, and a drawing. It's a great place to start allowing kids to explore their talents!

1 comment:

  1. I also had difficulties choosing which genres to use. I kept looking at the list of different genres in our MGRP book by Allen and I eventually narrowed it down to five!

    ReplyDelete