Thursday, November 18, 2010

A powerful article indeed

I will admit that I’ve been “handled” by the media. I feel like my skin is wrinkling as we speak and I need Garnier’s eye lift serum quick. I never really thought about how the old Disney movies are all about the damsel in distress being saved by a prince. The princesses all are beautiful and in perfect proportion. They don’t have much to worry about but being beautiful. It never bothered me when I was little because I didn’t know any better and it still doesn’t really bother me that the main characters are gorgeous, but it’s very sad to know the truth that an ugly character will never be the hero or princess. I have to say I always wanted to look like Jasmine. Mulan would be the exception to the damsel in distress rule and maybe some others that were not just looking for a prince. Most of the movies main characters are white. They just now came up with the first black princess in The Princess and the Frog. I loved it and I cried. It’s about time!
I don’t necessarily agree with this author’s use of material for school literacy. I think kids have enough trouble as it is without knowing what cartoons are really like. I mean I didn’t know when I was little and I’m glad no one told me or I would never like cartoons or myself. I think it may be counterproductive for students although this teacher said she thinks she helped them make a difference. Maybe some did become advocates for equal rights for women and minorities, but I think some sensitive girls or boys may get discouraged. This could only be used with older children and even then I am skeptical. It’s a great way to involve multiple genres of literature like animation, movies, film strips, etc, but the content is serious and could cause complications for some students.

1 comment:

  1. I think the teacher who wrote this article revealed these truths to a high school group and I commend these students for writing publicly about these issues.

    I'm also unsure if I would point out the negative attitudes in cartons and movies to my own children while they were watching for fun. I can't imagine hearing my mom or dad critique everything I watched as a kid, I'd go crazy and pessimistic!

    I grew up watching Snow White and Cinderella, instead of focusing on their color or damsel in distress status, I saw both characters as strong women who prevailed in hard times. They remained sweet and hopeful despite their difficult situations.

    ReplyDelete